Braemar Castle’s Military History, Weapons and Soldiers’ Tales
The Castle was built in a commanding position, sitting high on a mound in the haugh of the Dee. With long, open views through the glen to both east and west, its presence here had a dual role, to demonstrate power and dominate territory.
At a pivotal time in Scotland’s history the battles for religion and power were fought throughout the Highlands and here in Braemar. In 1689 the castle was burnt and left in ruins, until once again this strategic site was identified as requisite for the control of people and lands and rebuilt as a garrison in 1748.
As well as Scottish weapons from the Castle’s collection, also on show are items which illustrate that during times of peace at home, members of the Farqhuarson family have continued to serve their country, fighting in conflicts on foreign soil.
Exhibition included in entry fee to castle. Limited time only!
Click HERE to go back to the events page.