Braemar Castle has been the home of the Chiefs of Clan Farquharson since the middle of the 18th century and in 2007 was leased to the community of Braemar for 50 years by the Farquharsons of Invercauld. The Chief of Clan Farquharson, and 16th Laird of Invercauld, is Captain Alwyne Farquharson
Braemar Castle was originally built to keep the Farquharsons in check. The Earls of Mar were (until 1715) staunch Government supporters, the sympathies of Clan Farquharson lay mainly with the Jacobites. The Earl of Mar were the Feudal superiors of the Farquharson until 1715 when the Earl of Mar, along with John Farquharson of Invercauld lead a Jacobite uprising against the Government. Following their involvement, the Earl of Mar was forced to flee abroad and his lands and title was forfeited and John Farquharson was imprisoned but later released and pardoned. Some 20 years later John Farquharson bought Braemar Castle.